Saddle art competition for 12-16 year olds
Less than 3 weeks to go to enter this creative competition with a cultural twist. If you don’t have a child who is 12-16 years old, then please do pass on the info to someone who does. Art teachers take note – this is a great way to motivate and inspire your students.
An art competition with a cultural twist. Darat Safeya bin Zagar invites 12-16 year olds to participate in an art competition based on the theme of saddles. In the first stage of this competition, you go and collect your white chart paper saddle from Darat Safeya bin Zagar, and after drawing your own unique saddle design (look through our post for some inspiration, and read up on popular saddle designs on the web), return the paper saddle design to the Darat before 9th March. The winners from this first stage will go on to participate in the next level involving the creation of a more intricate 3-D design. A great opportunity to educate yourself about the importance of the saddle in Arab culture, and show the world your unique take on it. We’re excited, are you?
As we already know, the saddle is a structure used by the horse-rider (or any other animal-rider) to sit on when riding upon a horse. And because the early Arabs were fully dependent on using animals for their transportation, be it in times of peace or war, they were enchanted with making saddles and took a lot of care to maintain them and keep them in a good shape.
Saddles are designed for different kinds of uses, like horse-back riding, or horse-racing, etc.. There also come in different types and styles, where they can be made to serve as a mere garment to be fitted to the animal’s back, up to their use as professional saddles for serious horse-back riders.
- The competition is open for adolescents aged between 12 and 16 years
- The participant should draw his/her design on the white space on the back of the (printed) advertisement in the shape of a saddle which is to be collected from and returned upon completion to Darat Safeya bin Zagar. See address and contact details at bottom of post
- The participants are free to create designs that are inspired or based on geometric or botanical ornamentations
- Participants can use either Paint Markers or Permanent Markers in implementing their designs
- It is strictly forbidden to use additional external elements in the first stage of the competition.
- Designs that are created with the help of adults will be rejected
- The design works should be submitted to Darat Safeya Binzagr, attached with the Name, Telephone Number and Mobile Number of the applicant. Kindly attach a proof of birth date as well.
- The latest date to receive submissions is March 9, 2012 A.D. concurrent with 16 Raby` al-THaany 1433 A.H.
- The participating submissions will be considered as a property of Darat Safeya Binzagr
- There will be an initial classification for the best 60 design works, after which the participants will be called to visit Darat Safeya Binzagr to apply their artistic designs on a three-dimensional fiberglass model (second stage)
- An exhibition of the winning works and the distinguished ones will be held in Roshana Center in Tahlia, where the participants will be honored and prizes will be given to winners on the Opening Day, Thursday April 12, 2012 concurrent with 20 Jumaada al-awal 1433 A.H.
A canvas of your own: The white paper saddle you will receive from Darat Safeya bin Zagar.
Darat Safeya Binzagr
Wali Al Ahd street, Jeddah
Telephone: 6571030 (Details about calling and visiting times on website below)